Using a WiFi connection has benefits over using your 3G/4G data connection. Most importantly, WiFi won't use up the data on your account, you'll also have a faster and more reliable Internet connection and better call quality.
Your phone will connect to and remember many different WiFi networks. You can join your home WiFi, connect to your friends or family members' WiFi at the places you frequently visit, or search for public WiFI networks in your vicinity. (Note that public WiFi may require opening your browser to complete an additional sign-in page.)
To join a WiFi network in your area, go to the Settings application > WiFi > and select the WiFi network name. It can also be known as the SSID (stands for Service Set Identifier), which is a fancy way of saying it's the wifi network name.
Enter the password when it asks you for a password:
Once you’ve setup your WiFi you will see Connected under the WiFi name (Network SSID).
When connected to WiFi you will also see this wifi symbol on the notification bar across the top of your device:
If that symbol is lit up, you're connected to wifi and your 3G/4G data is not being used. Also, the symbol will show you a quick indication of your wifi signal strength: if only one or two bars are lit up, your connection is poor. If it's all four bars, it's strong.
Next time you are in proximity of that same WiFi network you've just set up, your device will remember and connect to it automatically.
Monitor your data usage
When your device isn't connected to WiFi, it will use your plan's mobile data. Therefore, it is important to understand what is using your data when you're not connected to WiFi.
Your device has a built in data usage tracker inside the Settings app, which will help you monitor and control your data usage.
To access the data usage tracker, to go the Settings app > Data Usage. Here's a quick rundown of the options you might see on your device:
- Mobile data this will disable 3G/4G connection. Warning: if this is turned off it will prevent you from sending and receiving messages whenever you are off WiFi
- Limit mobile data will disable your data once you’ve reached the set limit. To set the limit simply touch and drag the red line on the graph. (We do not recommend turning this option on as TextNow does not charge data overage fees)
- Alert me about data usage will give you a warning once you’ve reached the set data. To set the warning simply touch and drag the orange line on the graph.
- Data usage cycle will allow you to view your past data usage history and will also let you change your data cycle. The graph will update accordingly
- To know which apps are consuming the most data, scroll down and you will see the following
If a particular application is using too much data, you may limit the application's data usage when not being used by tapping the application in question and turn on Restrict app background data
TextNow will never charge you for overages. When you exceed your plan's data limit, data access is still available at (reduced) 2G speed.
Should you require more high speed mobile data, you can upgrade your plan at any time, right here on your Wireless Account page.