If you're having troubles with your TextNow app or service, a good first step is to clear out the TextNow app's cache and data. Don't worry - your messages and call history are backed up to the TextNow Servers, so you won't lose any messages or call logs by trying this troubleshooting step.
Note this is only for Android devices only, including phones purchased from TextNow.
1. Open your main Settings app.
2. Scroll down the Settings page and tap on Apps (sometimes listed as Application Manager on Samsung devices).
3. At the top of the Apps page you'll see the heading Downloaded. Swipe left on that page until you're under the heading All. (Note: Newer versions of Android have changed this page somewhat. To see all your apps on Marshmallow and Nougat, make sure the drop-down menu in the top left-hand corner is set to All Apps.)
4. You'll see a long, alphabetically-sorted list of all the apps on your device. Scroll down towards the bottom of the list and tap on TextNow.
5. This is the TextNow App page. From here, tap on (in this order): Clear Cache, the Clear Data, and finally Force Stop.
6. And finally, click on Uninstall Updates to revert the TextNow app back to the factory-installed version.
Once it's cleared and rolled back to the factory-installed version, install the latest update to the TextNow app. Click here for our Support page article on how to update your TextNow app.
Can I try this on my iOS device?
iOS devices don't have the ability to clear the cache or data from a specific app. You can, however, achieve the same result by following these steps:
- Uninstall your TextNow app.
- Reboot your device.
- Reinstall the app with a fresh copy from the App Store (not from a local backup copy).